Health, Muscle & Fitness Articles Section
Home - Fitness & Muscle | Muscle Building Articles | Cardio Articles | Fitness Equipment Articles | Weight Loss Articles | Exercise Articles |
Yoga Articles | Supplement Articles | Exercise Motivation Articles | Nutrition Articles | Acne Articles | Breast Cancer Articles | Beauty Articles |
Attraction Articles | Dating Articles | Depression Articles | Diabetes Articles | Goal Setting Articles | Hair Loss Articles | Martial Arts Articles |
Meditation Articles | Motivation Articles | Pregnancy Articles
How To Establish A Base Tan Without Getting Burned
Lets face it. A nice tan makes you look and feel great. Plus, it can hide ugly cellulite and also make you appear thinner!
If you are going on a trip or you simply want to look good for an event that's coming up, it's important to establish a base tan.
Here are some 10 indoor tanning steps to help you achieve a nice base tan without getting burned*.
By the way, if you are hesitant about using an indoor tanning bed but want to get a tan, try a UV-free spray tan like Mystic Tan.
Otherwise, the steps below will help guide you through the UV indoor tanning process:
1. Be careful if you are on any prescription medications: blood pressure medications, antibiotics, skin problem medications are just a few categories of drugs you preferably should not be taking if you are tanning or spending lots of time outdoors. Refer to the photosensitizing medication chart in your local tanning salon to be sure the medications you are taking are not listed. These medications can effect the results of your tanning, making it more difficult to tan and you are more prone to burning.
2. Always use a good quality indoor tanning lotion. It will help your skin to absorb the UV, which will aid in the tanning process. There are also special ingredients that stimulate melanin production, such as Tyrosine, which will give you the most out of every tanning session. Your skin tends to dry out during the tanning process and if you don't use a good quality indoor tanning lotion, your skin will exfoliate faster, become more dry and flaky, and you will lose your tan faster. So the bottom line: for a deeper, darker, longer lasting tan, you need to use quality indoor tanning lotion. It's best to apply indoor tanning lotion immediately prior to your session or 1-2 hours prior is even better if you can. Applying it ahead of time allows your skin to absorb the lotion better so you will get the best results from your tanning session.
3. Apply after tan lotion as well to take care of your skin and keep it moisturized. Apply it twice daily at a minimum to keep your skin happy, once in the morning and again at night before bed. This also can enhance your tan and make it longer lasting- the key to a great tan is healthy skin!
4. If you are just beginning to tan, remember to start out conservative. Whatever you do, you don't want to burn- you cannot tan on top of a burn and you will have to start over. The old saying "I always burn first and then I tan" is completely false, it simply does not have to be this way. If you burn, your skin is telling you that it's getting too much sun, and then you will peel. So start out with a low number of minutes and work your way up. If you have fair skin but do have the ability to tan, you should not go more than 6-7 minutes your first time in a standard 20 minute tanning bed (also known as a Level 1 tanning bed). For stronger beds with shorter tan times, you would go for even less minutes.
5. Go once every 24-48 hours to build your base. Depending on how well your skin is doing, you can decide whether you can go once a day or once every other day. A good rule of thumb is if your skin is not pink within the 24 hours after your session, you can probably go again the next day without any problem. If your skin is pink, feels dry and itchy, or you get a rash, this is a signal that you went for too many minutes and need to take a break until it feels better and then start over again.
6. Once you build up your base, you really don't need to tan as often. So depending on the type of bed you are using, you should only go 2-3 times per week to keep your tan, even less in stronger beds. This is where I see many people go overboard, tanning every day when it is really not necessary. Many people enjoy the relaxation time that tanning provides, but tanning too often can and will speed up your aging process and potentially cause other skin ailments over a long period of time. Just like everything else in life, moderation is key!
7. Wear eye goggles at all times! Many people think that putting a towel over their face will block the UV rays, but it doesn't and repeated UV exposure can cause major eye problems later in life. Would you rather be blind or have lighter eyelids? I think I would choose the latter, but that is just me. For your own safety, please wear the eye goggles!
8. Since indoor tanning does not require the use of a bathing suit, use a towel to cover those 'sensitive' areas that don't see the sun very often if you want to tan all over. In the beginning, try covering those areas for half the session and see how it goes. Gradually you can remove the towel earlier and earlier until you don't need to use one anymore. The towel acts as a filter but won't completely block the UV rays, so you are still getting the tanning process started.
9. To avoid getting creases or pressure tanning lines, you should move your limbs into different positions during your session. For the first half, try laying down with both arms extended above your head and legs apart. For the second half, bring your arms down next to your sides but away from your body, and re-position your legs by raising one knee slightly for a half of the remaining time, and then the other leg do the same thing.
10. Try to avoid wearing make-up, deodorant, or other perfumes prior to tanning. Some of these things can make your skin more sensitive and possibly have a bad reaction with your skin when exposed to UV. If you wear a lot of deodorant, you may notice that you are not tanning as well around your armpits, and you need to remove this prior to tanning.
When it comes to tanning, every person's skin type is different and results will vary. Consult with your local tanning salon for a skin type analysis (from a Smart Tan Certified Tanning Consultant) so you can get a good idea of where to start.
* Also, ask your doctor for his or her advice if you have any specific medical questions or concerns.
©2005 Angela Maroevich
Dumbbell Routines & Exercises eBook - Click Here
Increase Your Muscle Size And Improve Your Physical Fitness In 90 Days Or You Get To Keep This Breakthrough eBook FREE!
"Dumbbell Exercises and Lifting Routines To Help You Gain More Muscle, Lose Weight, or Just Get Yourself in Better Physical Shape... WITHOUT the Hassles, and Expenses of Health Clubs"
"Instant Access to An Illustrated, PDF Ebook That Will Give YOU The Routines You Need To Get In Better Shape in 90 Days or less - Or Your Money Back!" Get the scoop here.
"Instant Access to
Downloadable Guide That Will Give YOU The Routines You Need To Get
In Better Shape in 90 Days or Less - Or Your Money
Back! Learn More."
Serious Fitness Supplements - Muscle Builders
"A Completely Different Approach To Bodybuilding That Can Build Your Physique To Its Maximum Genetic Potential!"
A step-by-step guide that teaches you the secrets, tips, and techniques you need to know to build a chiseled, muscular, ripped, head-turning physique...FAST!
The "Hyper-Growth Muscle Mass Training" course is an extremely effective natural human growth hormone stimulator and packs on slabs of muscle mass, size and enourages hypertrophy faster than you would've ever thought possible...while burning off body fat like crazy!
Highly recommended! Click Here For Maximum Muscle Growth
Fitness-and-Muscle.com Site Navigation
Home Page | Muscle Fitness Magazine | Muscle Fitness Hers | Fitness Supplements | Muscle Supplements | Fitness Muscle Equipment | Muscle Building | Fitness Competition | Muscle Compeititon | Arm Muscles | Home Fitness Workout | Huge Muscles | Muscle Building Workout | Fitness Muscle DVDs | Fitness Accessories | Fitness Dating | Muscle Fitness Articles | Muscle Links | Contact Us
Dermaglow For Natural Skin
Bring natural beauty to your skin with the launch of Dermaglow an extensive assortment of skin care treats to heal, soothe and protect. Developed in Canada by pharmacist Dr Calvin Davies, Dermaglow have captured the essence of magical botanical ingredients to feed your skin and bring paradise to your senses.
Wrinkles and Liver Spots are Signs of Aging, Mature Skin
WrinklesGravity is the skin's worst enemy. Weakening of collagen and elastin fibres causes reduced firmness of the skin, gravity pulls at the skin and causes it to sag, this in combination with a reduction in the fatty padding of the skin inevitably causes wrinkling of the skin tissue.
Natural Rosacea Products & Rosacea Medications : The Common Thread
If you are one of the thousands of men and women suffering from the skin discorder rosacea or acne rosacea, you may already be familiar with the standard dermatologist-prescribed courses of action and medications.What many people don't know, is there are actually non-prescription, natural rosacea products that are just as effective, if not more effective, than prescription rosacea medications and topical rosacea gels and ointments.
A Beauty Salon Will Help You Look Your Best!
A beauty salon will help you look your very best with a price that will fit in almost any budget. A beauty salon will be able to make your hair, skin, toes, and fingernails look marvelous.
How to Select a Qualified Plastic Surgeon
Cosmetic or aesthetic surgery is a very popular subject these days. Make a search on the internet for cosmetic or plastic surgery and you will get millions of results - web sites of plastic surgeons of different nationalities, various procedures available, advice for cheap plastic surgery, before and after photos, celebrity patients, clinics and surgery travel packages for various countries, news from around the world, and more.
Cost of Non Prescription Color Contacts
Cost of non prescription color contacts can vary quite a bit depending on where you buy them. If the cost of non prescription color contacts is an issue for you, check around before you buy.
Can We Really Get Rid of Cellulite?
It has been the bane of every women's existence since the dawn of time - the affliction known as cellulite. We all have it to varying degrees, and it seems to get worse as we get older in many cases.
Natural Skin Care Mask
Healthy skin is one of the most common health and beauty concerns for people today, and rightfully so. Our skin is our bodies largest organ, and when our skin doesn't look or feel good, it is exposed for the rest of the world to see.
Color Contact Lenses - Do They Work on Dark Eyes?
Do you want to change dark eye color to something different, but you are unsure if color contacts will work for your eyes? If you have brown eyes and tried color contact lenses several years ago, you were probably disappointed. Color contacts of the previous generation ether gave your eye color only a very slight change or your eyes looked blue but completely unnatural.
Why Skin Care Products Wont Work!
Skin Care Products Wont Work! No skin care or cosmetic product,(or any other product for that matter) will work, unless you use it!Sounds obvious, right?But don't we all have a "graveyard" drawer of unused and never to be used skin care items?Bought on a whim or from convincing sales pressure, with little thought of how they fit our needs, wants, lifestyles, etc.?So, what properties make-up your ideal skin care?1.
Tooth Whitening, Tooth Treatment: Get that Perfect Smile!
I would say a smile throughout the day keeps doctor away. Undoubtly, laughter is the best medicine as it not only supplies nutrients to the skin but also makes your skin glow.
Beauty Today: All Smoke and Mirrors?
Did you ever notice that the bar is continually being raised on exactly what physical characteristics define beauty? As I sit in front of the TV, I am bombarded by beauties with pouty lips, perfect bone structure, flawless skin, more "voluptuous" upper regions, size 2 waists, and hair that resembles spun silk. Take these same beauties and plop them back in time 20-30 years, when the advent of modern cosmetic technology had not even begun to reach its full potential.
Lip Magic: Tips for Lips
As we get older our lips get smaller and thinner - it's a fact of life, but it need not be the end of the world or our attractiveness. If you don't have the money or the inclination to run off and get collagen injections there are ways you can keep your lips looking great and desirable.
Tips on Choosing the Best Skin Care Product for You
Your face is the first thing that people notice when they meet you. So, it is no wonder that skin care is big business! Millions are spent each year to treat acne, under eye circles, wrinkles, discolorations, and a variety of other ailments.
Bariatric Surgery Contributes to Rise in Body Contouring Procedures in Michiana
Elkhart, IN - A newly released report from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) details statistics and consumer attitudes toward cosmetic surgery in Indiana, and many of the numbers mirror similar trends in Michiana, according to Dr. Ronald Downs and Dr.
Your Skin - Are You Creating An Asset or a Liability?
Skincare consists of Skin and Care - obvious really, but let's look at exactly what that term means. Anything that is taken good care of will look, last and function better for longer and retain its value.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants offer many advantages over traditional tooth replacement procedures. Gone are the days when patients were forced to simply wear unsightly or uncomfortable caps, crowns or dentures.
The Facts about Rhinoplasty Nasal Surgery
Rhinoplasty is a surgery to reshape the nose. This is one of the most common surgical procedures performed in the United States.
Beauty Tip: Foundation Secrets For A Flawless Complexion
1. For a natural look your foundation must match your skin tone.
Detox - Does it Improve Your Skin?
The answer is yes, especially if you have problem skin. The skin is one of the body's main organs and can eliminate around 10% of all waste from the body.